The Heights is a fantastic multipurpose sports and leisure centre and has:
- Two swimming pools
- Bright and airy 70-station Tone Zone gym with the latest hi-tech Pulse fitness equipment
- Health Suite
- Two activity studios and a studio solely for Group Indoor Cycling classes - which we call CYCLONE
1Leisure Heights Parking
As part of our exciting TONE ZONE extension work at The Heights, some of the car park will be temporarily out of use. To help ease the pressure we have got an extra parking facility a very short walk away next to the new Broadway Centre. This is useable all of the time that The Heights are open.
As well as this there is some parking behind the Barrack Block. This is usable after 5:30 in the evening. Please do not park in any bays marked for the Health Centre. For both of these you will need to display your 1Leisure parking permit.
We are open seven days a week. To find out about our current opening times (including closures on certain days between Christmas and the New Year) please call 01983 823880. We also have reduced hours on Bank Holidays.
The bright and airy cafe area overlooks the pools and Tone Zone. Opening times vary, please ring to check.
The 70-station Tone Zone is open Monday to Friday 6:30am to 9pm, Saturday 8am to 6pm and on Sunday from 8am to 6pm.
Parking charges are in place, some categories of One Card memberships and swimming lessons are issued with free parking permits.
2, 3 and 8 stop right outside The Heights.
To see the Heights pool programme, including water workout and other pool-based classes, please visit the Swimming pages.
No matter what age or level we can develop swimming skills for any individual in any stroke. Using games children can develop fundamental aquatic skills. Once they have achieved all the required outcomes, children can transfer to one of the sport-specific classes: competition swimming, synchronised swimming, water polo or rookie lifesaving.
There are swimming lessons in both pools with classes for beginners, improvers and advanced swimmers. Booking is preferable but not essential, to contact the pool to book please use the contact details which can be found in the 'Contact' tab.
Our swimming lessons are in line with the Amateur Swimming Association Learn to Swim Pathway. This is a comprehensive integrated and progressive teaching programme based on technical and educational principles.
Water Workout Classes
Water aerobics, or aquafit, usually combines a variety of techniques from gym-based aerobic classes and includes walking or running backward and forward, jumping jacks, along with various arm movements. Your workout will also use equipment such as flotation belts and flotation devices.
In addition to the standard benefits of any exercise, the use of water in water aerobics supports the body and reduces the risk of muscle or joint injury. There is less stress on your joints when stretching and you have a greater range of movement. Its fun and it’s good for you!
Please note: the school holiday pool programme may affect when the water workout classes are held.
If you have had a stroke, or have arthritis, mobility problems or had a hip or knee replacement, this is a great class to help you get more mobile. The gentle exercise will help release tense muscles around joints. The water helps support your weight and the gentle movement is also ideal for pre and post-pregnancy.
Pre and post-natal exercises. A gentle warm-up followed by a specially designed aerobic workout in the water. The water helps support your weight while the gentle stretching exercises make you feel good.
Swimming is great for babies and children of all ages. Aquababes classes are a fun, safe environment. Please check the latest Heights pool programme for up-to-date times for Aquababes sessions.
- Friendly and safe environment
- Qualified teachers
- Learn through play
- Develop motor skills
- Mixture of free and structured play
- Build confidence in the water
- Get certificates and badges.
If you are not sure if this is for you and your baby, come along and see. Our teachers are happy to answer any questions you have, please use the 'Send a Message' tab which you can find via the 'Contact' tab at the top of this page.
Aquababes is suitable from birth to four years, although it’s advisable that your baby has had their inoculations. During school holidays, children up to age seven are welcome if accompanying a parent with a pre-school sibling. All babies must wear swim nappies which are available to purchase from reception.
Tone Zone Gym
The 70-station Tone Zone gym is open Monday to Friday 7am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am to 6pm. For more information about our Tone Zone gyms, please click here.
It has the latest hi-tech Pulse Fitness equipment, including the Pulse Smart Centre. Equipment has 15" LCD screens and a full range of Freeview channels and i-Pod capability.
- Increased levels of contact with instructors
- Instructors able to monitor fitness, heath and medical issues quickly and efficiently and respond to customers’ needs
- Delivery of bespoke programmes tailored to individual needs
- Easy to monitor workouts and progress
Self-service check-in has come to The Heights!
Look out for our Clarity self-service kiosk in reception. One Card holders can now swipe their cards for quicker access to the gym and pool.
There are now three activity studios at The Heights, including one just for Cyclone classes (indoor cycling).
For more information about our fitness classes please click here.
Please be aware of the following information if you are taking part in our fitness classes:
- Booking is advisable for all our classes
- Please give 24 hours’ notice when cancelling a booked class
- If you have booked on a busy class, your place may be given to another person if you are not here before your class is due to start
- Classes are for over 16s only unless stated
- You should arrive promptly as the warm-up section is vital to the safety of the class. The instructor may refuse admission to participants who arrive after this section is completed
- Please inform the instructor of any injuries or medical conditions which may affect your participation
- All aerobics classes are suitable for all levels of fitness, but they may vary in complexity. Participants are invited to work at their own level with low-impact alternatives which are incorporated into most of our classes
- For your own safety, correct footwear must be worn in all classes
- Please put all bags, coats, etc in a locker to reduce the chance of any health and safety issues
- Finally….. ABSOLUTELY NO CHEWING GUM!
- The health suite has a spa pool, steam room and sauna and a cold spray shower.
- The health suite will be closed every Monday morning until 1pm for essential maintenance.
- The health suite is included in both the Silver and Gold One Card options. Pay-as-you-go prices apply for customers without a One Card.
- Under 16s can use the Heights providing they are accompanied by an adult. You cannot use the health suite until you are over eight years old.
Access to the Isle of Wight Council leisure facilities is through the easy-to-use One Card membership scheme, which puts a new flexibility at the heart of fitness and makes it easy for you to use Isle of Wight Council leisure facilities in Sandown, Newport and Ryde.
Membership Card Options
The full membership option is the Gold One Card, giving you unlimited access to the Tone Zone gyms and all our other main activities and facilities, such as swimming, fitness classes and racket sports.
Choose the Silver One Card membership option for swimming and water activities, the health suite at The Heights (in Sandown) and racket sports.
For more information about the One Card please click here
1Leisure The Heights
Isle of Wight
Phone: 01983 823881
The Heights Access Policy
The main entrance to The Heights is via a slight incline path leading through automatic doors to reception. All activities are on a ground floor level with wide corridors leading to all activity areas.
Accessible Changing Facilities
The Heights has two accessible changing rooms, located close to the swimming pools. Each room has a private shower and adjustable seating. The larger accessible room has an overhead V5 duo hoist system which can traverse to/from the changing bed. The Initial lifting capacity of the hoist is 200kg (440lb) Hoist slings will need to be provided by the user.
The smaller accessible room has a wheelchair available for customer use; the wheelchair is of waterproof construction.
There is an induction loop at both the main reception and gym reception
Accessibility Toilets & Baby Change Facilities
Accessibility toilets are located within the accessible change facilities and the main seating area of the building.
Baby change facilities are located in the following areas:
- Disabled toilet – main seating area
- Female toilet – main seating area
- Poolside male change
- Poolside female change
We have a number of accessible machines within the gym including:
- shoulder press
- chest press
- pec dec
- reverse pull down
- smith machines
- squat machine
- multi pully
- arm bike
Swimming Pool Accessibility
Both the large and small pool are deck level pools with easy entry steps into the pools, an Aqua Creek portable sling hoist is available for use on both pools, the maximum lifting weight of this hoist is 181kg (400lb). Hoist slings will need to be provided by the user.
The Heights will happily make adjustments (where practical) to lighting and music to help our customers enjoy their visit. We have time timers located at reception and in the gym for our customers to use. The timers are portable and can be removed for use around the centre.
Assistance dogs are welcome at The Heights; the following arrangements are made in order to allow customers with assistance dogs to have the best possible experience:
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are provided on request.
• On request, the Centre will provide familiarisation with the facility as part of an induction.
• Guidelines are provided for staff on how to interact with assistance dogs.
The assistance dog is the responsibility of its owner, who must ensure that:-
- It is kept on a lead at all times when walking around the premises.
• It does not foul the facility or grounds
• its requirements in relation to toileting and feeding are met
• It behaves in an appropriate manner at all times and does not disrupt others
In the unlikely event that the dog does foul inside the leisure centre, the owner must report this to a member of staff to ensure that the area is cleaned and sanitised.